Neuro Note 1

I watched the movie The Fundamentals of Caring staring Craig Roberts, Paul Rudd, and Selena Gomez and I really enjoyed the movie and would recommend others too watch it. This movie is about the relationship between a caregiver named Ben and a young boy named Trevor with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Ben is on a mission to allow Trevor to enjoy the things that he can in life, so they embark on a journey to see the world largest pit. Trevor was known for playing tricks on the caregivers in his life by pretending something bad was happening to him with his medical needs. Throughout the movie Ben and Trevor were playing jokes on each other and each joke always seemed like a life or death issue for Trevor. This was not always funny to the caregivers, but Trevor seemed to enjoy it. I learned a lot about the lifestyle of someone with muscular dystrophy while watching this movie. I learned how traveling can be such a challenge to some with this diagnosis. Trevor had to sleep with a CPAP machine at night because of the weakened respiratory muscles in his chest not allowing him to breathe very well at night. The caregiver had to make sure that he had all of his medicines and the machine at every location that they moved too. Also, when asked what one of the main things he wanted to be able to do in life Trevor responded by saying he wanted to be able to pee standing up. Hearing him say that really hit home in my OT heart. It helped me to truly see that the clients that I am going to be working with as an occupational therapist really just want their independence back. I chose this movie as my assignment because I didn't really know a lot about muscular dystrophy before watching this movie. I feel like after watching this movie I have a much better insight into the life of someone with this diagnosis. It was also nice to see the interaction between Ben and Trevor. I was able to see the way he was transferred from place to place and all of the things that he needed help with during the day.



References

Gigliotti, D. ,Spies, J., & Burnett, R. (2016). The Fundamentals of Caring [Motion Picture]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LoC

Media project Organize with Zipties

The best fit